Thurrock Choice Homes

Click here to download the browsealoud software
Text Only View Site Map
Text size: A A A

Mutual Exchange image

Mutual Exchange

What is a Mutual Exchange?

A mutual exchange happens when two or more tenants decide to swap tenancies.


It involves taking over the other party’s tenancy, including all the rights and responsibilities that go with it.  This must be with the agreement of all landlords and it never involves an empty property.


The tenant must hold a Secure (Council) or Assured (Housing Association) tenancy and must obtain the permission of their landlord prior to the exchange. You cannot mutually exchange with the tenant of a private landlord.


How do I find someone to exchange with?

  • Check the Mutual Exchange adverts located in each Local Office. A Customer Services Adviser will assist if you need help.
  • Advertise in local newspapers or in shop windows
  • Ask friends and relatives if they know of any tenants interested in an exchange
  • Use the Internet and register to use a Mutual Exchange website.  There are many websites available, but you should be aware that some make a charge.


I have found someone to exchange with, what do I do now?

Having agreed to swap properties, each tenant should apply to their own landlord for permission to exchange.


You can find out more information about Thurrock council Mutual exchanges and download an application form  on the Thurrock Council website by clicking here

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy